Wednesday, January 31, 2018

My Minimal Hoarding Life - 2018 January Check In



Wow! A month already gone but that is life, we have to make what we of time because before you know it, time had slipped passed us. Don`t put off what we can do today till tomorrow.

I make four resolutions, or goals, to accomplish each year. Some years I make it with all of them, some years I do not. Usually two are easier and two are harder.

I have began to pick a word, or words, that I try to also apply to my life for the year. This year I chose the words "No Regrets" because I do not want to regret a single thing I go for this year, whether I make it all the way or I fail, I will learn either way and make myself better.

What are my resolutions? 

1- Stop buying - Grow more


Grow more food :

You maybe thinking how in the world can she grow food in the Winter?

Well.....

I can sow seed inside for an early garden and that is what I have done, I have tomato plants and bell pepper plants, I have cabbage babies and I am waiting for the eggplants to sprout. 



Stop Buying : 

When I say "stop buying" that does not mean just for stockpiling canned goods and the such but also to shopping to "Get something" and I did walk away from shopping for January. 

 Another plus, I only bought newspapers once this whole month for the coupon inserts, saving me $32 (yes Sunday newspapers we up) And that one time I did purchase them I only bought half of what I would usually buy.

I bought no clothes at all.

I feel this resolution was a 100% accomplishment. 

2 - Clear land - Set up rentals

This resolution is one of the harder ones, I am trying to ... hmmm... make myself get out of the habit of thinking I have to do everything myself and hire people to do all the work.

I have not began on this resolution yet.

100% failure.

3 - Clean, declutter and organize

Since it is January and since it has been cold more than its been normal and warm, I have worked inside more than not.

I usually start with the closets and get rid of more stuff that was bought in the past years but this time I looked around and found what was the worst, what I had let go the longest and was in deep dread to do and I started that.

The Kitchen :

I have been dreading cleaning the upper cabinets, why? Those are the hardest for me to do. I have to climb to get those done but I took an evening and I cleaned them with grease lightening.



I have put off finishing the painting of the kitchen, I had half done from years (yes years) ago. This was also harder for me because of my neck pain, I do not talk about it much but I do have a bad neck and upper back. After painting I will hurt but I refuse to allow this to stop me from being clean in the house and keeping it nice. 

I took a week and I got most of the one long wall painted, Trim too!

BUT I still have one small wall left to paint but I have to find someone to help me move the china cabinet away from that wall and then back after I get it painted with two coats of paint.

The Pantry :



While it was for the most part organized some things had made its way into that room that did not belong there so that was put into its place. I also went through every store bought item and made sure it was still in date, what was not went out. I also went through my home canned jars of food and what I felt was past its safe to eat date went out also.



This resolution is a 100% accomplishment.

4 - Take a vacation

Now I am sure this one will be a fail each month till I actually take the vacation and by vacation I do mean a week off and not at home.

But I can take days off or weekends and have mini vacations. 

I have thought about where I would like to go, I have several places in mind but I have not planned any vacations. 

So another 100% fail.

There are my resolutions and how I have worked to make what I want better in my life.

How did you do the first month of 2018?

For more about this months cleaning and work check out :







By Andria Perry
Photos By Andria Perry 

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”



12 comments:

  1. On the way Angie, keep on moving forward!! I love the "No Regrets" I believe that id the best way to look at everything. Win or loose with No Regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first step is always the hardest! Keep on trucking kiddo! You are well on your way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No resolutions here so 100% success :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As amazing as it is to me, I'm starting the prep work to start working on the church flowerbeds next month. I have snapdragons there that survived the winter, which is unheard of, but most of the early work will be cutting back the irises and cleaning the flowerbeds so they can be planted. The planting will probably be minimal this year, considering what is coming back, despite the snow and cold.

    I have plans for strengthening the chicken pen, too, as soon as the ground thaws enough that I can sink some 2 x 2's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking about building a coup. I want chickens again.

      Delete
  5. I don't think your vacation has to be 100% fail every month. You can count setting aside funds when you can as steps towards it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well January was a fail for the funds too.

      Delete