Saturday, January 27, 2018

My Minimal Hoarding Life - Don`t Burn Out



As we all know when January hits we all have these big and wonderful plans to get like back on track, to clean and organize our homes and life.

So we jump in and begin to make things move, we clean and re-arrange and organize and then.................... There is just to much to do! 

Fast burn out!

And that is why a resolution does not work, we try to hard to make it happen in January.

How do we handle this differently? 

This is where a little planning comes in, lists!

Depending on where you live is how you want to do things. I am in the deep south so I can do somethings people who are in Idaho cannot.

If you are in the snowy area I would suggest cleaning out closets or kitchen cabinets.

The clothing closets seem to take me the longest because I try on most of the clothes so I will either " love it or toss it."

The kitchen cabinets can be just washing up what is not used as often to checking expiration dates on foods.

Since I live in central Alabama I can paint. I love painting the interior of my home, its not as hard as some people think and since I am inside for January I try to get this part done. (Note : its in the 50`s here during the day so I can open the door for fresh air)

A sample of my list would look like this.

Things to do in January :

1- Clean exterior of kitchen cabinets

2- Clean out Kitchen cabinets - interior

3 - Paint kitchen

4 - Rearrange pantry

See how I did that? I stuck to one area so that I would accomplish that area and move in to another room.

What have I accomplished? 

Before painting



The past week was a work week and a work at home week too! 

Monday - I did nothing at home because I was not here all day, I worked away from home with job #2. 

Tuesday things got real, I cleaned the kitchen cabinets. I have to say I have been ashamed of them for some time and there is nothing like grease lightning to get rid of kitchen grease! I did the upper cabinets and then got the lower. I also cleaned out the open face spice rack and cleaned out, removed old foods, from the upper cabinets.

Wednesday - I had to go to work at job #1. Cut up downed trees and removed the debris at the rental house.

After removing tiles and painting.


Thursday  I decided it was time to finish some of the painting that I had started last year. I did have a couple walls already painted and each wall I finished I had do so in the corner so there was not over lapping to mess up the color of the new walls and the old walls. Since I have always hated this little tile border (that I did paint from wine to brown many years ago) I took it down! I cleaned the wall and I painted it.  I also got on the ladder and painted the wall above the cabinets, everything got two coats of paint.  I have only one small wall left to paint and it has the china cabinet in the way. And calking the counter top after removing the tiles. I used a pale gray for my color, it does not clash with the counter tops that will be replaced one day.

Friday  I had a a few errands to run so I did not get to more painting, instead I took a couple of hours in the evening and cut down some bushes and separated junk by the garage. Since we are having a few warm days I am starting on another area that will be cleaned up and used outside. Plus its a good way to get out for fresh air and out of the house.

Saturday - Today . Since the rain got here earlier than I wanted, I will either paint the molding/trim white today or/ and I will organize a little out in the garage.

I do feel like I accomplished a lot last week on my off days, or my working at home days, and each small step I see a huge difference that makes me fool good.

What about housework?

Yes there is always the normal work in the house that has to be done no matter what projects we are going to make our homes nicer.

Usually when I am working away from home and I come home I will do laundry, a load or two, whatever I can handle, and I that chore under control. 

I always wash dishes after dinner, if I skip a night its because I am exhausted and I will do them first thing the next morning.

I also have to change bedsheets once a week, that is for two beds. Tony`s gets it twice a week. 

As far as dusting, vacuuming and the rest of the house cleaning, This week I was good since I have just done all that last weekend.


Click this link to read more about that : Cleaning and Cleansing  

What Went Out? 

This past week a lot went out. Since I cleaned out the top cabinets I tossed all those boxes of foods. As much as I loved those boxes rice meals, I no longer eat them since I am trying my best to control diabetes in this household. I have away the mixes that were still in date. I also game away 5 huge boxes of cheerios, thy are good and still in date. My family benefited from those.

I also had an invasion of ants, so the dogs enjoyed the vanilla wafers and chips the ants were eating. The birds got what they did not want.

I take the trash out just about daily as well as the recyclables. I have almost three trash bags of aluminum cans in the garage that will be recycled for money next week, I try to make sure I have enough to make it worth the trip, or I just drop by when I am in town, I do not make a special trip to recycle.

What Came In? 

Nothing! I did not shop last week at all besides a few fruits and vegetables, diet coke. But that is not something that will stay for very long. :)


Now that is how I get things done and I do not burn out. Each project has a season, if you make the monthly list and use the season you are in I am sure you can accomplish your goals.

By Andria Perry
Photos by Andria Perry



We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. LOL. I try to inspire others to do what they thought they could not. Inspired?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. LOL, I have so much to do before Spring and planting the garden. So I am doing it while I am stuck inside with the rain outside.

      Delete