Thursday, October 12, 2017

My Minimal Hoarding Life - Back Into That Grove

October 12, 2017


I will say that life has not been kind to me this year but I cannot allow that to get in the way of what I need to do to keep up my own health and not just others.

I do not call people who hoard lazy although some laziness is my problem and I know some people say hoarding is a mental illness but I beg to differ, there are many stages of hoarding. Yes there are people who are mentally ill and hoard trash and feces and stack it up to the ceilings but I am not talking about that type of hoarding, I am talking about buying new stuff for yourself and not getting around to cleaning out the old and getting rid of that, This is how I hoard but never meaning to.

Since this was the year I had to take over everything, meaning all the work and heavy lifting, for the most part I have been just to tired to worry about cleaning out that closet. But now its October and winter is just around the corner I need to get things in order so I can relax a tiny bit ( if its God`s will) this winter. A plus is after doing everything I have built my body up with muscle and I can take on more than I could back in the spring.

So let`s see what I have been able to do to get this place in better shape.

Cleaning :



This fall has been killer on the allergies so I am making the effort to vacuum and dust more in my bedroom, for the longest I have been keeping the rooms that Tony live in cleaner due to the cancer and allowing my ares to go till later, then later never came.


And the office, I spend a few hours a day in the office and it was by far the dustiest room of the house, because no one came in here but me. Last Monday I cleaned the office from top to bottom, and the feel of the room is so much better, it feels happy.



Next I cleaned the spare bedroom/ stockpile room. I have cleaned this room more recently, just in case someone came over to stay the night, because of Tony being sick, I just about used all the stock except the home canned goods so that is what you see besides the bedroom suit. 

The hall and bathroom. I have been keeping these dusted and cleaned because this is one of Tony`s areas.

What I Got Rid Of :

For one I am tired of the recyclables, it seems they pile up by the back door waiting for me to get rid of them. I did. I loaded the car on Tuesday and took those to the local bin and cashed out the aluminum cans, got $7 and some change for those. 

I changed the toilet seat and the old one went to the trash at the office, but who keep old nasty toilet seats? Not me! but it had been sitting and waiting for me to change.

I had bought the dogs and the cat bags of the very expensive feed called Iams and they hated it! I stapled the top closed and sat it in the office, a side chair, with the thinking that " well if they get out of feed they might eat it" but I knew that would not happen, I took it to my sisters house so she could feed the stray dog that she has named, plus she has a cat but I am not sure it eats that kind, the dogs will love it if not.


Next I had a project of the greenhouse to erect and that stuff in the pantry floor, the fittings and rolls of plastic, It is now up and all of that is clear to walk now. 

I also got the outside flood lights in, another project done and those are not sitting on the counter awaiting to be installed.

I went through my underwear drawer and discarded a few pair of underwear and old socks.

What I Need To Do : 



In a around 10 days the local dump will have a free day to dump whatever you want to get rid of, I am being hopeful that I can get the help to take off a load of stuff left behind by tenants.

I need to also get a load from here and get rid of it, especially old metal stuff that does not rot.


I also "need" to clean out the shed and give that stuff away. I have some from an inheritance two years ago, almost three, and I just need to let go, its just junk to me and its not doing any good sitting. For the most part its glassware, you know pretty little knick knacks I no longer will sit around to collect dust, vases and kitchen dishes.

That is about it for the first 12 days of October. How are you dealing with life and your stuff?

By Andria Perry
Photos by Andria Perry





8 comments:

  1. Our dump is free, though people need to bring it in. Otherwise, there is a regular pickup fee. (There is a county lien that keeps the dump free, even though it is subsequently hauled miles to the landfill. This weekend, I plan on making a trip to the dump.

    Most of everything else has slowed down here and we have a snow advisory for tonight. We'll see if and how much snow we get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH no, snow!

      This is actually a landfill. We pay for residential pick up, but I don`t for my home and only at the office but I will let that end this year. 2
      $200 a year is to much to pay.

      Delete
  2. Everywhere is a dump here..If you don''t want it dump it in the first available place ...It is beautiful country being spoiled by people dumping and not caring where. Plus side is anything I don't want I just put poutside my gate and in 2 seconds it has gone..Pleased to see you back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes here you get fined for dumping anywhere, but you can set stuff out with a free sign and it disappears too.

      Delete
  3. Glad you are back I've missed your posts! The quest for fair is the one that always drives us to anger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You better keep posting so I have motivation for get rid of stuff here!!! I am so sick of looking around me at all of the stuff just laying around....and boxes full too.
    I've been away from home, so it seems, for weeks. Finally a day at home today---I feel good that I got the entertainment center cleaned off, dusted and such....looks so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I got another day to clean, feels so much better each room I clean.

      Delete