Saturday, April 20, 2019

My Minimal Hoarding Life - You Might Think "What A Nasty Hoarder!"

A friends hoard I cleaned up 2015

I know I would if I  was following a blogger like me, writing a real time "deal with the hoard," clean up life, what a mess, thinking oh that is nasty!

And you would be right. Big swallow from me along with a big deep sigh.

I also add "it was not all me."

But..... but....

It was and I will own it, why? I had the power to say no but I listened to what was called other peoples reason and that was " I might need that later."

Let me tell you now, later never came!

What came was rooms of rotten junk that was never used, that was "given" to me and it was already broken, people asking me to keep things for them and they never came back for them and they rotted, things I got when people died.... All a bunch of crap!

Don`t do as I did, learn to stand up and say No! And it doesnt have to be a rude no, just a no thank you, if they push just let them know you do not have room for anymore.

This past week really got to me, I wanted to get it all done and move onto the repairs and making it all pretty again, minimal and pretty, easy to clean. To put this vision in my head to work on the houses.

Trying to keep up the cleaning and mowing at two places is so hard, and work on top of that, you know the pay the bills and earn money work.

Here is a little of how my life went....



April 14, Sunday

I got busy here at home, with the yard, it had grown up over the week of running back and forth and with the rain and sun. I used the riding mow from 2 pm till 6 pm, I got the whole thing, fields and front, except the back yard inside the fenced in dog area that has to be push mowed.



Monday - 15th.

I did not do much except clean up the house, I had errands to get done. I wanted to mow the back late evening but the mower would not work. Big sigh.


Tuesday - 16th.

I loaded up the recyclables and took those off to the bin. I went to the old home place and tackled the grown up grass there, the side (where I used to have a garden) had not been mowed this year, it was grown up waist deep, so I mowed that, took me over 2 hours, I got the next little level up while I was at it. I worked so hard I could not go any further.

While I should have taken a load of junk to donate I was just to tired.



Wednesday - 17th.
 
I changed my bed sheets and  wash, dried, folded and put them away. Washed a load of dishes, by hand. I cleaned out the top shelf of the kitchen cabinet that contains food, I threw most of it out.

I loaded the car with recyclables, aluminum cans, to be sold on Thursday.

After working on the push mower, I push mowed the back yard and around the old green house, I applied a bundle of straw to try and retard grass growth. I trimmed shrubs back away from the sage bush.

Another hoard left behind for me to clean up

Thursday - 18th.

Since I was going into town I loaded the car the night before. I sold the aluminum cans ($6.60) on the way to the old home place.

Back at the old home place I finished mowing, this only took about 30 minutes to do the top level.

Next I filled the car with lamps, small tables, a small metal rack, plastic clothes hangers and a few bags of Christmas lights.

I pulled the trash can up to the door and I placed a few black trash bags in that was nothing but junk and not worthy of donation. I cleaned out the old dresser, everything went into the trash, this is now ready to be hauled off, donate or dump, doesnt matter to me, I am just done with it. I do not want a dresser or chest of drawers in this space.

Back at home I cooked dinner, changed bed sheets on another bed and washed a load, I left them in the drier over night. Bad thunderstorms came rolling in.

Art by Andria Perry

Friday - 19th.

Since I killed myself all week I decided to stay at home and sleep, slept 12 hours and then another 2 later in the day. Muscles relaxed and totally rested.

But..... I did stop by to put the trash can to the curb for Monday pick up while I was in town for diet cokes and a short appointment about work. While there, in the neighborhood, I also gave away three boxes of cake mix, a box of instant oats and a box of instant grits to a couple elderly ladies. So, I did make more progress by giving stuff away that I did not want, even though I was resting for the day.

My clothes, in my closet.


Saturday - 20th.

Its almost 3 pm and I have done little, I folded clothes and put them away, made my bed. 

Made breakfast for lunch.

The sun is peeking out and its still cold outside. I will clean house a little, go through more here at home, load up and donate at one of the little boxes. 

I am thinking of more rest so next week I can get back to the heavy duty stuff, I want to get this place cleared out of old junk, memories and ghosts. Time for new and fresh.

My kitchen,.



How did your week go? Are you still seeking the minimal lifestyle? 


By Andria Perry
Photo By Andria Perry



10 comments:

  1. I love this post. It shows self improvement at work. You have gotten so much done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Life is a witch so steal her broom and sweep. :)

      Delete
  2. You truly inspire me. I know it won't be bad to spend Easter by my PC but then on Monday I will begin the cleaning I have put off for a while. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm exhausted just reading all the work you are doing. Your goal is admirable, to bring these places to a more manageable level. I can see you're making progress. Wish you could hire someone for all that mowing, then you would have more time for the decluttering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need someone to haul off all the stuff to the dump.

      Delete
  4. Stuff can accumulate fast...I think my husband could become a hoarder if I let him. We were once minamilaist until my husband decided he like to shop for useless stuff. I have to get rid of stuff all the time..and have a motto "if you do not use in an entire year get rid of it" I am glad you are getting rid of the stuff...your house will be so easy to manage when it is all done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not my home, I am minimal. This is a place I left.

      Delete