Saturday, February 16, 2019

My Minimal Hoarding Life - Being Mindful





This year its my goal to cut spending in half so I have to be mindful. I think about why I am shopping. 

These are the questions I ask before I go shopping, before I leave the house:


1 - What do I need? 



I am at the point in life where I don`t need stuff. I can go into a store and waste hours and never buy anything. 

I am in the part of life where I realize I just need clothing and food, and not new clothing weekly.

2 - How much do I have to spend? Not credit, in the bank or cash on hand.
  


This is usually what make a trip or stops a trip shopping. I do not own a credit card, if I need something bad enough I will save for it.

I have to think so I wanna blow my money now? Or do I want to save for that special item?

3 - Can I wait another day?



Sometimes we use shopping as a way to reward ourselves for losing a pound, sometimes we use shopping to cover an issue we are dealing with, sometimes we shop because we are bored and other times we shop with friends as a way to be social.

Think about waiting another day, if you really need to shop can wait one more day? The next day comes and that urge may have passed so you saved yourself a lot of money!

SO.......



When you do go shopping for food make a list and stick to it so you can get what you "need" instead of what you want in the moment. Sometimes the impulse buys is what is making us fat.

Here is another tip :



Eat at home before shopping!

Why?

Because when you are saving money eating out can cost anywhere from a cheap $5 burger to a lovely meal of $20, then add tip, then if you are with friends eating out we tend to linger longer and spend more, maybe an extra drink from the bar or dessert.  You not only wasted money you just ate and drank  enough calories for a whole week!

What to do when you stop shopping



This is the real problem, I hear people ask "well what do I do now?"

1 - Back to Why? Why do you need more for the same things you already have? Why are you saving? 



Like most of us we have a something we want but don`t have the money for it. Some want a nice trip, a week vacation. Some want a down payment for a new or used car. Etc.

For me its about building my business, I thought one day while browsing the clearance rack in the ladies department, I don`t need anymore clothes, but I want a $3,000 building. So I walked away, checked out my food. when I got home I transferred $20 into my savings account. Why? because I was gonna buy clothes that would have been $20, the building became real at that moment. I started being mindful about my money and the goal. 

Make your goal known! Name your savings account.

2- If you are bored check out some of the local free stuff going on in your town.

Spring, Summer and Fall, most towns have festivals and they cost nothing to roam and check out free music.

The library! Oh yes. Check out the bulletin board in your local library because its free to post what is going on in town and even what shows,plays and people will appear right there. 

Look up your town online, or the next town over and see what is happening. Many events are free! Put a few cokes in a small cooler and into the car, now you have your own drinks from home.

3 - Head to the Park

I know, I know! Many of you are already shaking your heads telling me about all that ails you, here are the top complaints I hear.

I have depression and I do not want to get out.

I have a bum leg.

I am an introvert and I do not like people.

I will have any anxiety attack, I am scared, what if I do not fit in?!!

First ......

Getting out of your home and into the fresh air and sunshine helps depression!

A bum leg? Maybe you need muscle? walking in a park at your own pace can help with that.

I would like to say I am people person but I am not, however, the world is filled with people and I have found out that many are exactly like me. Hint - Wear sunglasses so no one will see you watching them :)

Anxiety, well, I have found the best way to "get over it" is to face fear and just do it! We all have a little anxiety so we gather all of our courage, get out and go, and then we finally breathe and see its not bad at all.

Once again, put water or cokes in the car cooler for a quick ready drink.

4 - Have a get together at your house with the friends, cook a simple meal and invite them over for the afternoon/evening, whatever time you would usually shop. Each week swap out who is cooking at their house. You save a huge amount of money by doing this at home.

5 - Movies

Go see a movie! While going to the movie is costly most theaters have a day that its cheaper or you can buy discount tickets online. Eat at home before you go and skip the popcorn, if you are brave put candy and a drink in your over sized purse. ;)



By being mindful with my money and shopping I am also making a difference in how my home looks, less clutter. Plus I am saving money to buy something I want.

What do you want from your money?

By Andria Perry
Photos By Andria Perry and Pixabay







2 comments:

  1. Wow, you have done a lot. You are very inspiring. I have been cleaning my house good and I have a lot of stuff I need to sell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but I may give it away to get rid of it.

      Delete